Monday 13 August 2012

Magic Moments Monday

Danusia Francis



Danusia Francis has had many magic moments throughout her GB career. She has been a regular member of Team GB, representing her country at European and World Championships. She is now hoping to make magic over in America where she is heading this autumn to study at the University of California in Los Angeles (UCLA) and compete as part of their NCAA gymnastics team. Here she answers a few questions about her GB career and her hopes for the future.


You've had an amazing career with British Gymnastics and now you're heading over to America to study at UCLA. Why did you choose to study over there?
When given an opportunity like that I feel like I would only be saying 'what if' if I hadn't chosen to study over there. And I am a big believer in having no regrets and living life to the fullest. In the words of Drake...you only live once!

What subjects will you be studying?
In the first year I have chosen a variety ranging from English to sports science and I would love to eventually major in communications.


You're going to be competing as part of the collegiate gymnastics team for UCLA. What does that entail?
It entails major team spirit and commitment to your performance as a team more so than in elite gymnastics.


Will you still continue to represent GB or will you just be focusing on NCAA gymnastics?
I'm not too sure yet, I have some goals in mind but I will definitely be taking it one step at a time and judging it on how my body is coping and how my school work is going. But it would be a huge honour to represent GB again in the future!


What are you looking forward to most about competing in America?
I'm most looking forward to joining the Bruins and competing with them, they made me feel at home straight away when I visited. I'm also looking forward to the atmosphere of competing to large crowds on a regular basis.


Other than gymnastics, what else are you looking forward to about life in the States?

I'm looking forward to living the life I see in the movies!! Going to the beach, playing beer pong, watching American football and everything else that's to come!


What will you miss about life in England?
The tube!! You can get anywhere! My friends and family and my 2 cats and my dog! Definitely not the rain! I'm a flip flop girl at heart!


What has been the highlight of your career so far?
Worlds 2011 was so much fun and being able to cope with that pressure and help to qualify a team for GB was such a proud moment! Also the whole trip in general was so unforgettable.


What has been the most memorable moment of your career so far?
Hmmmm hard question there has been so many! Europeans 2011 was my first senior international and I really enjoyed it with my coach Vince who took me on a segway tour round Berlin afterwards that was pretty memorable!


What are your ambitions for the future, gymnastics and otherwise?

My ambitions are to have the best time at UCLA and get a good degree!! To become a TV presenter for T4. Maybe carry on some sort of performing. But just to stay happy and work hard to achieve my goals!


Danusia will be competing for the Bruins (the UCLA sports team), with the competition season starting in January 2013. Click here for my 'Beginners Guide to NCAA Gymnastics' post to find out more about the competition and how to follow Danusia and the Bruins' progress.

To follow Danusia on twitter click here.
For the UCLA Bruins gymnastics page click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment